Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week 1: Storybook Favorites

So for this post I will explore past Epics of India Storybooks.   And honestly, this post was a lot of fun to write.  Not the writing of the post itself, but the exploration of the creative intellects of past students.  Plus, this only creates more foreshadowing and further piques my interest for what we will be reading this semester!



The first Storybook that caught my interest was Zoo Animal History.  At first glance this storybook caught my eye because, well, I am a Biology major.  As such, anything having to do with animals is going to get my immediate attention.  And when you throw mythology, history, and a foreign culture into the mix?  Well, let's just say I'm hooked!  In this Storybook, various animals found in the epics were described as you took a zoo tour of various habitats.  Background on the mythological creatures was given as well as their role in the epics.  Plus there was an adorable zoo animal background that I couldn't help but "Awww" at.  All in all, this Storybook presented a great way to introduce me to some of the critters we will be encountering this semester.



Next I was drawn in by the Post Secret Sanskrit Storybook.  Post Secret has fascinated me since I heard about it, and it is the combined image and emotion format that really draws me in. The fact that this storybook used images and added in sayings or sentiments relating to the epics just highlighted certain topics and themes that will be addressed.  It also provided an emotional view of the stories we will read, rather than solely a factual or informational stance.  I loved the intersection between emotion, information, and visuals, and so this Storybook really seemed striking to me!



The third Storybook that really grabbed my attention was Indian Horror Story.  This Storybook engaged me with its chilling photograph on the site's home as well as the interesting, modern-day thriller approach to the Indian mythology.  The references are noted below the stories in the Author's Notes, and the very subtle methods used to incorporate characters and plots from the epics showcases a creative (and creepy) talent for writing!!  While I would read these stories only in the bright light of day, I applaud the author's ability to turn traditional Indian stories into sinister but modern tales.


The variety of creative styles and methodologies in approaching the epics of India is truly astounding when flipping through these past Storybooks!  I look forward to beginning my own and delving deep into the mythology to record these tales in my own narrative style.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad I chose to view this blog post! The storybooks you found to be interesting were quite extraordinary. I like how there is such freedom with this assignment because there it leaves the author free to do what they want with their creative level. I especially thought the Indian horror story was cool to look at. Sooo many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete