Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Week 2: Storytelling--Cracked Perfection


Brahma once created a paradigm of absolute beauty, a woman who had not a single blemish or imperfection to mar her perfect features.  She was desired by all men, creatures and gods, for who would not wish to be the lover of such pulchritude?  Yet perfection can be a curse as much as it can be a blessing; not all are able to refuse the siren's call.  Moreover, when one encounters a siren--when one caves to temptation--someone must face destruction.

My name is Ahalya.  I am the creation of Brahma and the definition of non-imperfection.  And I am the one who faced the consequences of the siren's song. . .

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

While I was still a little girl, Indra, king of heavens, and highest of the pantheon, became enthralled with my beauty.  Brahma wished to save me from Indra's presumptuousness and left me in the care of Sage Guatama.  Gautama was generous and kind; never did his heart or mind stray from purity.  And I, having spent so much time in his company, loved and adored him.  Thus when Brahma and the gods blessed our marriage, I could not have been happier.

Perhaps it seems odd to you that I should delight in marrying my childhood guardian; but when you develop such adoration for a man, when you rejoice in his companionship and compassion, when a man has won your heart through his purity and wisdom and through his devotion--well, it is not so hard to promise yourself to him.

And perhaps it was the tranquility and bliss of our marriage that left me open to deceit.  Perhaps if I had experienced more duplicity in my childhood I would not have been so vulnerable to deception.  Yet, if my only fault was naivete and ignorance of guile, am I really to blame?  Was I really deserving of the harsh punishment I received?

For throughout the years Indra's infatuation had not waned, and his obsession to possess me had even grown.  He deceived me, assuming the guise of my beloved Guatama, and made 'love' to me.  By the time I realized that this figure, this semblance of my husband, was not in fact my love, it was too late.  Guatama found me in bed with Indra, cursed the god, and then claimed me defiled and sentenced me to a life as a stone until Rama would redeem me.  No matter how much I pleaded, no matter how I tried to explain that I should not be held culpable, Guatama could only look at me with thinly veiled disgust in his eyes.

To be left as shapeless granite through the long years by my beloved, my dearest companion. . . How it stung.  And to not even be able to voice my sorrow, for all of my lamentations to be unheard, it tortured me.  Every foot that trod on me, every voice that echoed off my cracked surface, every traveler who stopped to rest in my vicinity--how I wished to cry out to them, to beg for understanding and forgiveness!  I craved the affection of my beloved, but all I received was the caress of the wind. . . No punishment could have been greater.

I may as well have been a headstone whose inscription was worn away and whose identity was forgotten--that is, until Rama's path crossed with mine.  Suddenly my human form was restored to me, and my lamentations could be articulated.  But none of that mattered; all that I cared about was returning home to my beloved and being forgiven.

Do you hear me, dearest Guatama?  I know we cannot truly forget the past, but can you move on?  Will you forgive me my one offense?  You and I both know that I am not the same as I was, but no one is the same person they were yesterday.  I only hope that you can see beyond my transgression, and love me once again.

My name, Ahalya, no longer suits me.  Nevertheless, can you love me, Guatama, even though I am naught but cracked perfection?




Author's Note.  In this story, I expanded on the tale of Ahalya as it was told in Narayan's The Ramayana.  I found it odd that Ahalya, who was herself deceived, was punished so harshly for her indiscretion with the god Indra.  And so I decided to look at how she may have felt, at how blameless and yet guilty she may have thought herself, and to tell the story through her eyes.

Bibliography.  Narayan, R.K.  (1972)  The Ramayana.

Image Information.  Ahalya leaning on tree.  Chromolithograph by R. Varma, 1896.  Source:  Wellcome Images.

8 comments:

  1. This is really great. I also felt like Ahalya got a pretty raw deal when I was reading the story, and I love that you chose to tell her story from her own point of view. Her voice really comes through in the narration. You have some really "zingy" descriptors in there - some that stood out to me were "every foot that trod on me..." and "I may as well have been a headstone..." - you have that skill of simple yet poetic description that makes a story memorable and powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your storytelling was absolutely amazing, Jessica! I felt Ahalya's pain so clearly while reading this. She did suffer undeservedly, and that was well articulated from the point of view you used. Your style is beautifully vivid, and you use such great vocabulary! I was hooked from the title, and I liked how you tied back to your title in the end. Great job! I'm really looking forward to reading more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your story was so great! And what an ending! I absolutely loved it, and I loved the fact that there was nothing wrong with it. That's quite a heavy comment by the way because I like giving constructive criticism. I think this origin story is great, though, and I really felt the pain of your character. The POV change also worked well. Switching from omniscient to first person worked. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome story! When I read this tale in the Ramayana, I too felt that Ahalya suffered undue punishment in return for Indra's deceit. When I read the original story, I found it interesting that Indra, the king of the gods, was vulnerable to Gautama's curse and had to beg Brahma to remove the curse. It seems logical that the king of the gods should have a disproportionate amount of power, but this does not appear to be the case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops I accidentally deleted my comment.

      But what a great story Jessica. I share same thoughts and opinions as you about Ahalya's situation here. I felt her pain and sorrow while reading your story. You did a great job with the layout and design it makes the story more appealing and interesting. I liked how you used her own point of view to present the story. Good job!

      Delete
  6. Hi Jessica, I really enjoyed your story and agree with you on the fact Ahalya’s punishment was unfair. She did deserve a chance to tell her side of the story and be forgiven for something that was not her fault. I also liked reading your story because of its fluid flow, it was an easy and fun read and I hope to be reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jessica. Wow, your story is really moving. I definitely agree with you that Ahalya's punishment was extremely unfair. She didn't get a chance to explain herself, yet she was turned to stone out of disgust and anger on her husband's part. Your story does a wonderful job of displaying how she felt throughout it all. Telling it from her point of view made it all the more emotional.

    ReplyDelete