Sunday, November 16, 2014

Tech Tip: Google Docs Dictionary

So while I personally don't really have an issue with this pair of heterographs, I have found that it is a major pet peeve of mine when people mix this word pair up (or when people mix up heterographs in general.  Sometimes I am seconds away from editing all the books, websites, newspapers, signs, etc that I find errors in.  And no, I am not kidding--I just have issues, haha.)

Anyway, the heterographs I decided to share with you are taught and taut.  Mainly because I was recently reading a book that had this error twice. (The book shall remain unnamed.  I am too frustrated with it to give it the honor of recognition, lol.)

Here are the Google Docs dictionary definitions of taught. . .


and taut:


Hopefully that clarifies the distinction with anyone who did not know it.  Taught is a past form of teach, and is therefore a verb or participle, whereas taut is a word meaning pulled tight or concise, and is thus an adjective.  So. . . yup.  That's all I've got.  Hooray to the confusion that is the English language!!







P.S.  I found this list one day when I was online and thought it was interesting enough to bookmark.  You know, so I can point out people's errors to them easily.  (Not really; I would never do that.  Seriously, though, I am not quite that cruel.)  It says that it's a list of homonyms (which I guess is technically true), but it is more accurately a list of heterographs.  Enlighten yourself.  Besides, some of the definitions are actually kind of funny, so it's worth wasting a few minutes. . . maybe.  Probably not.  Enjoy anyway!

P.P.S.  Did I link to it enough times?  No?  Okay, here it is one last time. . . TADAH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment