Saturday, November 1, 2014

Tech Tip: Google Translate (Duh, duh, duhhhh)

So even though I already know how bad Google Translate is at exact translations (especially for Latin--don't even bother attempting there), I decided to see how it worked when looking solely at general ideas and concepts.  Taking the Italian Aesop's fable of La volpe e l'uva, aka The Fox and the Grapes, this is the translation I got:

The Fox and the Grapes 

A hungry fox saw bunches of grapes hanging from a pergola, and tried to grab them. But he could not. "Sour crap!" then he said to himself; and walked away. Thus, even among men, there are those who, unable to inability to reach his goal, he blames circumstances.

Aesop, xxxii; Phaedrus, IV, 3.

So I'm guessing the Italian version is already shortened a little from the original, but there are definitely some striking differences due to translation error.  For example, I doubt Aesop would write a fable with the phrase "'Sour crap!'" in it, haha.  But the moral rings true, and the story makes sense, so I guess Google Translate succeeds in translating general concepts and ideas, if not exact statements.

No comments:

Post a Comment