Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Week 4: Reading Diary B--Rama's "Coronation" and Banishment and Such

Since I somehow managed to write an insanely long reading diary yesterday, I am going to do my best to dramatically shorten today's. . . At least in comparison, haha.  Let's get to it!!

Right at the beginning of this section, Dasaratha asks people whether they would like Rama as king.  And when they agree with him with much enthusiasm?  Ol' Dasaratha takes serious offense, haha.  I mean, I can understand why he feels their agreement as an insult, but what did he expect?  Alright, next!

When Rama meets with his mother and the queens, we see that Kaikeyi truly seems happy for Rama's appointment to king.  In fact, she is overjoyed by the simple fact that Dasaratha can rest and relax.  The sentiments displayed in the dialogue here seem quite contradictory to what we know is going to happen.

Then again, this version gives a much more descriptive portrayal of Kooni/Manthara.  And boy is she a cruel, soul-sucking character.  I especially like the bit where Kaikeyi throws rubies at Manthara just to get her to go away.  Kinda wish I was the queen's favorite handmaid now. . . But seriously, she's angry because child-Rama shot a play-arrow at her?  Pssht.  I've experienced that!  It's called all children, ever.  (Also, the image of Manthara?  All I can say is it will star in my nightmares tonight, haha.)

Again Time casts his shadow; curiouser and curiouser. . .

Kaikeyi is a fickle and easily manipulated spoiled brat.  Just an observation.

Rama's honor and prompt acceptance of his banishment are much better explained here.  I mean, it actually makes sense!  Like, woah!

I quite enjoyed the scene between Rama and Sita in which she makes her argument as to why she must go with him.  Yay, clever dialogue and strong (?) women!

Love Vasishtha, despise Sumantra.  Well, at the very least I'm not a fan of Sumantra.  Fun fact right there.

Some cool quotes:  "If man breaks his word, why should the stars above keep their promises not to fall?  Why should Fire not burn us all or Ocean not leap his shores and drown us?"

Quite a harrowing escape scene from Ayodhya is depicted.  I'm still not sure what I make of the chariot running down so many people; was it cruel?  but necessary?. . .

I. Want. Flying. Horses.

Guha's an interesting character.  Totally love the random drinking contest between him and Lakshmana.  Granted, Lakshmana was just exiled with his brother, so it was probably a welcome relief.  Still, not at all what I expected from an epic of India, haha.  And the additional story of Guha receiving his title, dying, and coming back to life because of Shiva--who he didn't even believe in!--was excellent.  Especially with all of the misconstrued actions from when Guha was spiting Shiva's statue.  I'm still not sure whether this is providing a sense of the god's sense of humor, or if he was really that naive. . . Hmmm.

Dasaratha can speak the language of animals?!  I'm jealous!

Still not sure how I feel about Sumantra.

♪  Just keep walking; just keep walking; just keep walking, walking, walking. . .  

We get a lot more description on the extent of Dasaratha's grief.  Honestly, it was kind of depressing.  But I loved this retelling of the boy whom Dasaratha killed that one day in the forest.  It was so emotive, even if it was almost unbearably sad.  And the way the parents did not begrudge or curse Dasaratha was oddly touching.

The final scene I read for today was of Dasaratha's death.  The atmosphere was so calm, almost serene; for bearing such sorrow, his death seemed almost peaceful. . .

(Much shorter than last time--phew!!  Until we meet again!)

No comments:

Post a Comment