Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Week 5: Storytelling--The Creation of Garuda


"It all started with a leaf; odd, but there are few better ways to begin.  The Valakhilyas, miniature saints of great repute, wished only to aid in the creation of a sacrificial fire; and yet they were mocked by the prideful Indra when they could scarcely bear a single leaf.  Thus they lit that leaf afire and sang for a better Indra--if not for the interjections of Kashyapa, perhaps we would have another Indra.  Instead, the Valas granted Kashyapa with seeds which would bear his wives sons.  And so it was.”

"So Garuda was born from a seed?  A seed formed by miniature saints who could not bring a leaf to a sacrificial fire but could create from that same leaf a sacrificial fire with a purpose similar to that originally planned?  And then that seed was consumed by the wives of Kashyapa, who then had children?  Did I get that right?"

The elder man chuckled deeply, his grooved face crinkling even further as he smiled at his inquisitive young grandson.  "Yes, pota.  It is not so strange a tale, is it?  But there is much more. . .

"You see, Kashyapa's wife Vinata gave birth to only two eggs, while Kadru gave birth to a thousand.  And when Kadru's eggs hatched into Nagas--half-human, half-serpentine beings--Vinata became too impatient to wait for her own young to hatch.  And so she cracked the fragile shell of one of her eggs, only to find her son Aruna but partially formed.  Similarly to a serpent, he too lacked legs; but Aruna's most striking feature was his translucence--his entire form was diaphanous and supple.

"Aruna told his mother that she was to be patient and not disturb the sleep of her other son for another five hundred years, as she had disturbed him.  He then lithely launched himself into the sky, turning dawn's light a fiery red as it passed through his sheer flesh--"

"Hold on, Dadaji!  You want me to believe that the seeds from the fire from the leaf of the Valas when consumed by the wives of Kashyapa became eggs?  And that these eggs gave rise to Nagas?  Aren't they the guardians of treasure who live in a kingdom underground?  Why would the Valas create them instead of another version of Indra?"

"Well, you see--"

"And how could Aruna be alive if he wasn't supposed to be born for another five hundred years?  Wouldn't he just die?  Why couldn't Vinata just wait?  I can't believe that's why the dawn sky looks red!  So does that mean I have x-ray vision?  But I thought you were going to tell me about Garuda--I want to hear about the King of the Birds!!"

The old man laughed a second time.  He shook his head at the boy’s enthusiasm, and tried to begin again.  "If you would be patient, I will tell you of the magnificent Garuda; perhaps you could learn a lesson from Vinata if you listened.  Shall I continue, or will you interrupt me again?"

The boy shook his head quickly, his dark hair flopping about his face.  He mimed zipping his mouth shut, then gestured for his grandfather to continue.

"At Aruna's behest, Vinata did indeed wait another five hundred years, anxiously anticipating the birth of her second son.  In that time, however, Kadru--arrogant with her innumerable offspring--tricked Vinata into a bet.  Thus Vinata lost her freedom to Kadru and the Naga's cheating ways.

"It was into the midst of this drudgery that Garuda was born.  He emerged from his shell, only to be immediately saturated by sunshine.  His form amplified until he grew massive enough to block out the sun.  Garuda was a massive eagle; the feathers on his body gilded as if composed of gold, while his wings gleamed a brilliant red as if they were ablaze.  But where his head, wings, and talons resembled the figure of an eagle, Garuda also possessed a man’s arms and hands, and his torso was similar to a man's, yet covered with aurelian feathers."

"Woah!!  So does that mean that he was basically a person who could fly?  Can I have shiny red wings, Dadaji--can I fly?!  Why would the Valas create a version of Indra who was half-eagle, half-man?  And I thought that Garuda was the enemy of the Nagas and ate serpents--but his brother was practically a snake, and the Nagas were kind of like his brothers, too, weren't they?  So why would he eat them?  And does Garuda ever free his mom, or does he just leave her with Kadru?  And--"

A young woman clapped her hand over the mouth of the voluble boy, stifling laughter.  Helping her son stand, she smiled warmly at the seated elderly man.  "I hope he hasn't been too much trouble, Sasur.  He can't seem to get enough of your stories."

The man chortled, his grin lighting up his eyes as he looked over his energetic grandson.  "Your boy is curious about his religion and I am only too happy to share with him my knowledge.  Perhaps next time he will even manage to stay quiet enough to reach the end of a story."

Beaming brightly, the boy glanced up at his mother with excitement.  "Does this mean I can come over again tomorrow?  Please!!  I promise I'll listen better this time!  Oh, please, Amma, please!"


Looking over at her father-in-law, who nodded his head with a sly smile, the woman turned back to her son.  "Of course, putr.  Now thank Dadaji before we go."

The little boy ran over to his grandfather and hugged him goodbye.

"Tomorrow?" he whispered in his grandfather's ear.

His grandfather smiled and whispered his reply.  "Tomorrow."








Author's Note.  I enjoyed this story; it provided some missing background on this regal and courageous eagle who appears in The Ramayana.  But because it was so convoluted, it raised as many questions for me as it answered.  Therefore I wondered what a child would think when told this story; I mean, they always have numerous questions, so what would they ask if they heard this?  Probably not what I wrote, but I was never a little boy, so I did my best, haha.

Bibliography.  Buck, William (1976).  Ramayana: King Rama's Way.

Image Information.  Photograph of a single leaf.  Pixabay.    Sculpture of Garua by Hyougushi.  Photograph by Hideyuki KAMON.  Flickr.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your story! Garuda's story interested me as well and so i'm happy to read another take on it. Your choice of storytelling style worked out so well with this story. I love how when reading it, I felt like I could actually see a grandfather with his grandson on his lap in the living room before bed. You could really tell the age difference and wisdom of the narrator when he talks to the naive, but excited younger one (Pota). You did an excellent job with this and I really look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey good morning Jessica! I really enjoyed reading your story. Not only was it a great retelling of the Garuda story but the style in which you told it was most enthralling. I loved how it actually felt like I was a little kid again getting told some crazy story from my grandpa. I'm looking forward to possibly reading more of your stories in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessica!
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading your story, you really have a way with words.
    Your storytelling style worked out well. You put a lot of detail into this story and it made it easy to picture in my head. I love reading stories that make you feel like you're actually right there in the story.
    I can't wait to read more of your stories! Very good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jessica. Since I'm kind of a regular at your blog, I decided to scroll through some of your storytelling posts because they're always so great. I gotta be honest though: Although you write awesome stories, they're always so long! (Not ideal for somebody that's procrastinated and is trying to finish his commenting at 10 p.m. on Sunday. haha) On a more serious note, this is another thing that I'm kind of jealous of because my stories tend to barely meet the minimum word count. Anyway, great story! I really liked the style that you used to retell it.

    ReplyDelete