Thursday, September 25, 2014

Week 6: Storytelling--Illusion, Shadow, and the Passage of Time


As you walk the paths of life, you are not alone.  I for one am always present, always observing, always waiting.  In my endless days,  I have seen many events come to pass--yet there is one event in everyone's life with which I am overly concerned.  And in fact it is not the events and circumstances themselves I remember, but the people.  For me, the individuals are who stand out, the countless faces of reincarnated souls, wondering where I will take them next, wondering what their lives were worth.

But, of course, that is not for me to decide.  I am only the companion of the Death Lord, and am often absorbed into his shadow.  I am ever changeable, ever oncoming.  I am an illusion, but all too real.  I am Time, and because of my passage I am also Death.

Once upon a Time, Ravana wished to seek out Death--I was only too happy to oblige him with my presence.  And yet, when he saw me he demanded to see my Lord Yama, not recognizing me.  At that time, he made of me an enemy, and Death is not an enemy you wish to have.  Even when my appearance changed from that of a withered man not unlike a corpse to that of a fair young man with all of life before him, he mocked me.

But what he failed to realize is that Time, Death, is not willingly your enemy--I am not your enemy.  When I touch upon your shoulder, you welcome me.  I bring you peace, rebirth; I allow your weary souls to rest.  To not experience Death is to live in eternal torment, to cringe and whimper at the harshness of Timeless life.

For many years I followed Ravana in the guise of Time, casting a shriveled shadow over the Demon King.  My dry coughs would echo in his ears, my breath would fall damply on his neck.  To refuse Death is to accept endless Time, and so I shadowed his many travails.  Often I stood behind him, watching and waiting for the Time when he would beg for Death, when he would cry for my appearance.  And while I followed Ravana, I also traveled elsewhere, playing my role and casting Time's shadow over Kaikeyi's heart when she decided to cash in her favors with the king, and then standing behind the accepting shoulders of Dasaratha when he welcomed Death as relief for his broken heart.

As Ayodhya mourned its king, Rama noted my worth, my role in allowing weary souls rest.  When others complained of the unfairness of Death, Rama spoke of companionship, of friendship, of changing Time.  And I recognized in him one who knew both the hardships and joys of Time, and the illusions of Death.

It was not until later that the honorable Rama's path was to cross that of the forsaken Demon King.  I awaited those days, when Ravana would finally realize my blessing.  The siege of Lanka saw me prowling the city streets, withered and weary, wearing a threadbare brown shroud.  The dust and ashes of Time ruined and Death approaching covered me, and my dry cough echoed along the avenues.  Grinning like a skull, my hollow eyes took in the many companions who would soon join me.  The Time had come for the inhabitants of Lanka to join me in Death, to rest in my welcoming arms.  I walked those streets to collect those who respected Death, who understood that Time must pass and change.

It was soon after this that Ravana realized the errors of his ways; he realized that every choice he made had led him to this moment, to the moment where he would face down Rama and be forced to bow down to me and accept Death.  Ravana had been able to hide behind the illusions of earthly life, but no more.  Dharma and the material instruments of Time had long since aligned with Rama.  Even Indrajit, a mighty warrior, fell under my law, the law of Time and Death, in those times.  And still Ravana would not accept me.  But he will one day soon.

Do not fear Death--Death is not life's end; it is nothing but an illusion.  The course of Time is ever-changing and unstoppable.  With Time comes not only ends, but also endless beginnings.  The wheel of Time forever rolls on, regardless of circumstance.  When you see my shadow, do not be afraid.  As Death I am only an illusion; yet as Time, I am your constant shadow and the course of all events.  Welcome me, and I will welcome you into my joyful arms when your Death, your Time, comes.





Author's Note.  If anyone were to scan my reading diaries, they would find frequent instances in which I mention Time; for some reason, all his various appearances (both in regards to his presence and his physical appearance) have really drawn my attention.  He stands out in that he seems to always be present, and yet he never merits more than a line or two of text (with the exception of the story on 39-40).  And so I decided to tell a little tale of my own in which Time is the star.  Tada!!

Bibliography.  Buck, William (1976).  Ramayana:  King Rama's Way.

Image Information.  Photograph by Giulia, 2013.  "Watching the Passage of Time."  Flickr.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,

    Let me start my comment off by saying this: You have this time/death dialogue down really well. My first reaction to your post was confusion because I wasn't sure I was reading someone's post and not an external internet source. I will admit that I have not been able to read most of your other work, but I can appreciate someone who likes to carry on a continuation of internal theme. Really good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jessica! Wow, what an incredibly well written story. This is the first story I have read in such a format. I like how you let the way Ravana is presented in the text influence how you represented him in your own story. The dialogues you created throughout your story are also very well written. I like your use of personification and giving the various characters in your stories such strong personalities. This is conveyed by the well written dialogues. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought your storytelling post was terrific! I especially enjoyed your use of the words that are capitalized throughout the Ramayana (Time, Death..etc). My favorite sentence that really got me thinking was “ I am Time, and because of my passage I am also Death.” In your author’s note, you mentioned how you often note the instances of Time and Deaths mentionings throughout our readings. I have noticed that also! I have tried to expand upon their meaning and I really enjoyed how you kind of personified the two in your storytelling post! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOLY COW JESSICA! This story was seriously excellent! I loved every bit of it and am really intrigued by your inclusion of Time as a sort of partner of Death. I love that you portrayed the loving and compassionate nature of Death who sees his work as giving people peace and allowing them to rest rather than seeing it as simply taking their lives. This story is very well-written. You have a talent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story really displayed your skills as a writer. I like how you made time and death two sides of the same coin. I also enjoyed your personification of these two things. Death is not a scheming assassin, but a compassionate person who grants peace to those who have run out of time. This story was very well written, and I'll be sure to come back for more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jessica. As always, you've done a great job with this story. I always enjoy reading your stories. They're all so creative and well-written! I'm kind of jealous of your writing ability. If I could have just a fraction of it, it would probably take me so much less time to come up with stories each week. Anyway, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi again Jessica, this story was insanely well written and I read through very smoothly. The story also had my attention the whole time I was reading it. I liked how you managed time and death at the same time. You are a really great writer and this story blew my mind, so I really hope to be reading more of your stuff in the future.

    ReplyDelete