Monday, September 29, 2014

Week 7: Reading Diary A--Among Other Things, the Defeat of Ravana and the Reunion of Rama and Sita!

Last week of reading the Ramayana; alas!  But soon we shall move on to new tales and find new beloved characters.  But first, back to Ravana, and Time. . .

So, as Ravana gathers his army in the cloak of night in order to attack Rama's army, we get a short anecdote about the Rakshasa Malyavan.  Honestly, this story just left me confused.  The past and present were so intertwined and indistinct that I really don't understand what happened.  But it was such an ethereal scene with such a welcoming end, that I don't care that I didn't understand it; I liked it anyway.  I guess I'm just odd that way.

The description of the armies facing off was another unreal image.  Can you imagine looking out on what appeared to be a sea of "long-murdered ghosts"?  Of facig off against "warriors like hills, like living flames, very strong and cruel"?  I'm shivering just thinking about it.

Final conclusion on Jambavan the Bear King:  fearsome, great to have on your side, but bad to have as an enemy.  Piss him off, and you are basically agreeing to being ripped into tiny shreds. So, yeah.

Hanuman is an interesting figure.  Who knew a monkey could rip off a head and cause it to explode into 108 pieces and send flaming brains flying?  I probably could have gone my whole life without knowing that, but hey, now I know.

Finally someone acknowledges that if Soorpanaka wasn't so lustful and spoiled, this whole war affair could have been avoided.  Can you imagine a crush being the root cause of such a destructive war, of the downfall of your kingdom?  Granted, Paris could probably relate, but who else?  Haha.

Also, there really is honor among thieves--or among demons, at least.

You know how there are people who you never, ever, want to witness dancing?  Ravana is now at the top of my list.

I. Love. Time.  I mean if you read my latest story you already know this, but seriously.  How great would it be to finally call Ravana out for all of his sins, and be able to do it in such a low key yet menacing/ominous way?!  Seriously a fan. . .

And then Time fails me.  Falls prey to Ravana.  I now hate you, Time.  How you have disappointed me!!

Rama is characterized as partly a wanderer, partly a warrior, partly a king, and I have to say I love this description.  It seems that after all of his travels, this is the man he has become, and as he rides into battle his true identity is on the verge of being unleashed. . .

Cue the final battle royale, fraught with clashing chariots, arrows, and all manner of weapons!!

Oh, the poetry in the wicked enemy dying at dawn, leaving the world to begin a new day, a new era!  Plus, the awesome justice in Ravana finally being killed for all of his sins--that's also cool and such.  Yeah, yeah it is.

Ravana's letter to be delivered to Rama after his death was also poetic.  Oddly enlightened, but poetic just the same.

A long poetic, very self-aware description of the tale of Rama as told in Valmiki's song. . . and into part three, "The Dharma Wheel"!

Here we see everything in the epic coming to a nice conclusion, with all loose ends being tied up.  Ravana's body is burned, Vibhishana is placed on Lanka's throne, Mandodari accompanies her father Maya away, and Hanuman (finally!) fetches Sita.

Apparently Sita is more beautiful than Lakshmi--therefore somehow more beautiful than herself?  Ummmm. . .

And then Rama goes and pretends his ignorance is perfectly fine.  Who needs to know they are a great and powerful god anyway, right?  Gahh, so frustrating!

Great lovers reunited and given a house to themselves, and what do they do?  Sita places Rama's head in her lap and notices his leg is injured.  Totally what I was thinking, I mean, what else would they do?

"'You are faithful and very wise, when you stop to think.'"  I'm pretty sure that that is more insult than compliment.  But way to be passive aggressive, Vibhishana!

And now Rama's dead army becomes Rama's arisen army of the dead.  So basically, the world is now overrun by zombie bears and zombie monkeys.  That's reassuring.  And not at all frightening.

And we end with a giant chariot carrying thousands of "reformed" demons, zombie animals, and other travelers (including our beloved Rama, Sita, and Lakshmana) heading back to Ayodhya.  Really wish I could've been present to witness that homecoming.

I bid you adieu!  Our final installment of the Ramayana is to come tomorrow, so be prepared for happy endings all around, haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment