Saturday, October 25, 2014

Week 10: Famous Last Words--Huey Long

"Don't let me die, I have got so much to do."


These past couple of weeks have been insanely busy, and this coming week is going to be no different.  Exams, papers, online assignments, readings, paperwork for study abroad, club meetings, reading groups, orientations, quizzes, open labs--the list goes on.  And with my laptop still out of commission, I have had no reprieve.  I can't even hide away in my room to do coursework at my own pace; instead, I have to plan time on campus in computer labs into what little "free time" I have.  I am seriously going crazy!!!

In any case, I am uber excited about everything falling in place for my semester abroad in the spring!  All of the predeparture orientations and paperwork are totally worth it, seeing as I will be spending an entire semester in Italy, touring Europe in my free time.  So yeah, that's just freaking awesome.  No complaints there.

But, in the case of my laptop, I was told that the screen is just dead, and that in order to get it fixed the entire thing has to be taken apart and replaced.  Which means sending my computer in and being without it for at least a month as well as paying about half of the original price of the laptop.  Great.  Just great.  So that's probably not going to happen.  With all of the issues I've had with this computer over the past few years, I'm thinking of just investing in an entirely new computer.  Or possibly a fancy tablet.  We shall see.

What that means, unfortunately (I just love adding more bad news onto previous bad news!!), is that I will almost definitely be without my own computer for the entire rest of the semester.  Fun times.  *sigh*

In other news, my principles of ecology lab is officially over, giving me some additional free time for the remainder of the semester.  Which is great news!  Hopefully it will be enough to make up for any technical difficulties I'm dealing with.  But if you care to look, I will most likely be practically living in the library for the rest of the fall, so feel free to come observe my frustration and desperation!!  Wooo, haha.


P.S.  I promise I'm not always this bitter.  Sarcastic, yes; bitter, no.  Ah, who am I kidding?  If you're reading this, chances are you've read some of my reading diaries.  Which means you know me well enough to know that sarcasm and dry humor is an integral part of me.  Which also makes this note pointless.  So I'm just going to stop typing now. . .




Image Information.  Photograph of Jesus College Library, Oxford, UK.  October 2010 by Jorge Royan.  Wikimedia Commons.

2 comments:

  1. Jessica, so sad about laptop but I just wanted to say one word: CHROMEBOOK. I don't know if it would suit your needs, but for someone like me who does everything with browser-based software anyway, the Chromebook is a seriously amazing thing. I can't really write (not really...) on a tablet. But I can do all my work for school on a Chromebook. Weighs nothing. And it is soooooo inexpensive. So you might want to consider it!

    And ITALY: oh my gosh, I am very excited for you!!! Have you connected up with Jake Morgan? You might know him already; anyway, he is in Myth-Folklore this semester, and he is an Italophile of the finest kind as you can tell from his blog title: The Boccaccian Blog. Get in touch with him for Italy tips! :-)


    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, congratulations on getting into the semester abroad in Italy!! Will you be going with the Arezzo program? It is a lot of fun. The best part of Italy, at least in my opinion, was probably the traveling and the food. I am so sorry to hear about your laptop though! At least you have a plan to get a new one. Hopefully you will be able to get a good student discount! Good luck and have a lot of fun next semester!!

    ReplyDelete