Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Week 10: Reading Diary B--Afraid to Shoot Strangers--I Mean Family! Who Are We Fighting, Again?

Jumping right back in (and trying to be more brief, but most likely failing).  . .

"By exterminating the Kauravas. . ."  He makes them sound like nothing more than rats or cockroaches.  If that's so, just stomp on them and get it over with already!!

Ahh, Yudhistira's afraid of a little baby!!--Wait a sec; does that mean he wants to murder all the babies?!  Baby murderer!!

I wish I had a god arguing on my behalf in all arguments.   Krishna, Krishna, me me me!  Do you want to negotiate with my professors and parents for me?  You could make my life sooo much easier, haha.  (On a side note, I am totally going to many versions of hell.)

Mock the mighty warrior when he finally displays compassion why don't you.  That's one way to get him to change.

Draupadi, again bringing up religious contradictions.  Love that woman.

How much war and violence could be prevented if kings and demons simply listened to their advisers?  Like, seriously.

Yes, Duryodhana, let's just keep a god prisoner.  That seems smart and righteous and moral.  What a great plan.

"'One should accept food only if one is desperate or loves the person who offers it.'"  Oooooh, burn.  What scathing indictments we find in Indian epics, haha.

The last resort is the wife.  That's interesting. . .

Again, with Karna's loyalty to Duryodhana, we see an issue of a moral gray area and religious contradiction.  You can't simply turn your back on someone when you owe them, and so your loyalty is "understandable," but you also can't align with them for fear of destruction.  Ridiculous!!

Off to war!

Is all of India involved in this war?  How many soldiers and chariots do they have?!

When they mention "hot treacle," I imagine them flinging desserts at each other.  Definitely makes the battle humorous and Dr. Seuss-ish, haha.

The jackals are back!  This time, literally!!

". . . a profound philosophy of detached conduct. . ."  Yeah, that seems godlike; teaching someone to murder their family, friends, and mentors.  Good work, Krishna!

On with death and destruction.

And on. . .

And on. . .

Doesn't a suicide squad sound fun?  Let's join immediately, and support another of Duryodhana's immoral and misguided ventures.  Gahh.

And another mention of the wretched number thirteen.  Why?!  (I tried to look it up, and all I found was that thirteen can represent your karmas or mean that everything belongs to the Creator.  Whatever that means. .  .)

If you have a spear that will kill any one person without you needing to be near them, why not take out whichever Pandava is key to their defeat and wrap up the whole battle in a day?  Why not lead with that instead of holding in reserve so you can waste it?  Indian battle scenes make NO SENSE!!!

"I'll lie for you, Krishna, even if it sends me to hell."  Aren't gods supposed to be helpful in ascending to heaven?  What is up with this. . .

And now Bhima becomes a vampire!!  I knew we were missing something.

How nice of Arjuna not wanting to take advantage of an awkward moment.  I wish more people were like that, haha.

Dancing on the head of your enemy.  That's taking "dancing on your grave" to a whole new level.  A whole new level of harshness.

These people sure love hugging people to death.

I'm kinda with Yudhistira; imagine how peaceful and simple the life of a recluse would be.  If only such a life were a possible back-up plan nowadays, haha.

God, I love Draupadi.  Lecture away!!

And we finally come to the coronation of Yudhistira and practically to the end of our epic.

Except we have to let the Pandavas and Draupadi "decide" to die and pass on one-by-one.  I wish I could choose when to die; then again, I would probably choose never, so that could be a problem.  Ah, well, in my fantasy it would all work out, haha.

To think, the Mahabharata ends with only a single surviving character, Abhimanyu's child.  It's almost like Hamlet, but slightly more peaceful. . .

And so we reach the end of Narayan's version of the Mahabharata!!  Woooo!  Now on to Buck's version, hopefully with more of his amazing prose!!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, just a quick note: I am so glad you want to read Buck's Mahahbarata. I think it is even better than his Ramayana, full of stories that did not make it into Narayan. I will be so curious to find out what you think! Nala and Damayanti are in there, and Savitri and Satyavan... and all kinds of other marvelous stories besides!

    ReplyDelete